Beer, Wine, and Liquor Retail Industry News
Below are articles related to the beer, wine, and liquor retail industry; many featuring mPower liquor POS users.
- 2020 Proves Bittersweet for Retail Tier
December 17th, 2020; Market Watch Mag
Changes in retail sales, online sales, and the industry have affected demand and on-premise sales.
- Limited Editions: What do they deliver for beverage brands?
December 15th, 2020; Beverage Daily
Drive up extra sales on certain products and engage your shoppers.
- Virtual Wine and Spirits Tastings Connect Retailers and Consumers
December 9th, 2020; Market Watch Mag
Bridging the gap between retailers and consumers.
- Drizly Forecasts Higher Than Usual Holiday Alcohol Sales
December 7th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
“Alcohol retailers should feel even more merry this holiday season.”
- Banking On Trends During a Key Selling Season
December 2nd, 2020; Market Watch Mag
With the on-going pandemic, struggles to keep up with demand and offer curbside has been a change.
- Gearing Up For The 2020 Holiday Season
November 23rd, 2020; Market Watch
“As winter shopping starts, retailers are stocking gift sets and prepping gift baskets.”
**Did you know you can allocate inventory to various gift baskets within mPower?
- Off-Premise Update: Spirits Dollars Surpass Wine Through October, As Seltzer and FMBs Decelerate
November 20th 2020; Shanken News Daily
- Why RTDs Will boom in 2021 and Beyond
November 19th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Major companies, like Coors and Bud, continue to release their own versions of RTDs.
- The Top Alcohol Retail Tech Providers for 2020-21
November 19th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Having the right technology to support your business has never been more important.
*Featuring mPower Beverage
- Passion In The Panhandle
October 19th, 2020; Market Watch
“The owners of Florida’s Wine World have spearheaded and supported events the have raised millions of dollars for at-need community members.”
- Jewel Of Manhattan
October 16th, 2020; Market Watch
“Morrell & Co. CEO Jeremy Noye has reconnected the decades-old company with its roots while keeping it on the cutting edge.”
- Hard Ciders Expand, Move Upscale to Meet Fall Retail Demand
October 15th, 2020; Market Watch
“Ciders are poised for stable growth as retailers experience busy fall season.”
- Jumping Borders
February 13th, 2020; Market Watch
Indiana retailer Cap n’ Cork looks to expand into new states through online sales.
- One year later: Liquor stores feel impact of law change (CO)
January 3rd, 2020; KKTV11 News
Local liquor store owners said they have seen an impact to their beer sales.
- Retail Tier Charges Ahead to Summer Season
May 26th, 2020; Market Watch
“Remarkable double-digit gains across beverage alcohol retail fuels industry.”
- How Liquor Stores Can Maximize Sales of Complementary Products
May 26th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
They offer consistent sales through impulse buying and adds sales item variety.
- Wine E-Commerce Sales Move Mainstream During Pandemic
May 14th, 2020; Market Watch
Internet wine sales might be the biggest winner in the Covid-19 beverage alcohol retail whirlwind.
- An Industry Mobilizes
May 8th, 2020; Market Watch
As the Covid-19 crisis swept the country, the drinks industry responded, keeping the distribution chain moving and helping those in need.
- Video: How to Retail Alcohol in Our Changing World
May 7th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Buying patterns have changed.
- Retailers Go The Distance To Keep Industry Rolling During Crisis
April 21st, 2020; Market Watch
The retailer tier remains steadfast with strong steps to battle the pandemic and meet tall orders.
- Charitable Efforts Amid Covid-19
April 17th, 2020; Market Watch
As the pandemic swept the U.S. in March, the beverage alcohol industry responded in kind.
- Beverage Alcohol Retail Teir Adjusts to Covid-19 Crisis
April 8th, 2020; Market Watch
Wine, spirits, and beer retailers have turned to pioneering ideas to keep the supply chain moving amidst coronavirus closures.
- What Alcohol Consumers are Buying During the Covid-19 Crisis
April 6th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Liquor stores have evolved.
- How Liquor Stores Adapted to the Covid-19 Crisis
April 1st, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Alcohol remains essential.
- Retailers See Sales Skyrocket As Country Responds to Covid-19
March 30th, 2020; Market Watch
As the on-premise shuts down, consumers are turning to beverage alcohol retailers.
- Shift to Off-Premise Continues, as Retailers Emphasize Pickup and Delivery
March 23rd, 2020; Shanken News Daily
As states increase stay-at-home orders, beverage alcohol retailers remain open in in most states.
- Retailers Across the Nation are still Rushing to Keep Pace with Demand
March 20th, 2020; Shanken News Daily
Retailers are scrambling to keep shelves stocked while taking steps to keep customers and staff safe.
- Marching Onward
July 29th, 2020; Market Watch
“Amin an onslaught of negative economic statistics, off-premise drinks sales remain the great business anomaly of Covid-19.” *Featuring Molly’s Spirits (Denver, CO) and integration partner Drizly.
- Retailers Ride Growing Sales Wave as Covid-19 Continues into Summer Months
July 2nd, 2020; Market Watch
“RTDs, wine, and Tequila drive sales as customers stockpile products for staycations.”
- How Alcohol Retailers Have Evolved with Covid-19
June 17th, 2020; Market Watch
How beverage retailers have adapted to the challenges of Covid-19.
- What Alcohol Consumers are Buying, Months into Covid-19
June 15th, 2020; Market Watch
Consumer habits have changed with the world.
- RTDs Gain Traction with Upscale Mixes
June 8th, 2020; Market Watch
“Fuled by consumers thirsty for convenience and high quality, RTDs spin into a new era of growth.”
- RTDs, Hard Seltzers, Roses, Tequilas, Lead Summer Retail Sales
September 28th, 2020; Market Watch
“Consumers embraced curbside pickup and online sales as Covid-19 impacted the summer months.”
- Covid-19 Sparks Booming Beverage Alcohol Home Delivery Market
September 9th, 2020; Market Watch
“Delivery of wine, spirits, and beer has become more commonplace during the public health crisis.”
- Hard Seltzer Craze Reaching New Heights
August 26th, 2020; Market Watch
“The burgeoning category has taken the U.S. market by storm.”
- Canned Wines Still Seeing Double-Digit Growth
August 19th, 2020; Market Watch
“In spite of Covid-19, roses, sparklers, staycations, and outdoor living fuel an already-growing category.”
- Preparing for Post-Holiday Retail Sales
December 30th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
- Wine and Spirits Retailers Spread Holiday Cheer with Specialty Tastings, Events, and Sales
December 16th, 2019; Market Watch
- Colorado Retailer Molly’s Spirits in Expansion Mode
December 13th, 2019; Shanken News (A reiteration of Novembers Market Watch article)
- Holiday Shopping Made Easy with Wine and Spirits Gift Sets
December 13th, 2019; Market Watch
- Retailers Utilize Pairings to Connect with Customers and Boost Sales
December 11th, 2019; Market Watch
- The 2019 Beverage Alcohol Retail Tech Guide
November 7th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
- Optimizing Alcohol for eCommerce: ‘How easy do you make it for people?’
November 5th, 2019; Beverage Daily
Experts say a clean digital presence with simple navigation is key.
- Mile High Modern
November 1st, 2019; Market Watch
‘Rufus Nagel merges technology with experiential shopping at Molly’s Spirits in the Denver metro area.’
- How Molly’s Leverages Data and Technology for Growth
October 9th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
“Now a major local destination… Molly’s is preparing to open a second location this fall, and expand its reach to a broader customer base.”
- Twin City Titan
October 8th, 2019; Market Watch
“With his family on board, Jack Farrell continues to make Haskell’s a dominant force in the Minnesota retail scene.”
- Virginia ABC Revenue Eclipses $1 Billion in Fiscal 2019
October 3rd, 2019; Market Watch
Virginia saw huge growth in spirit sales.
- Consumer Study by Drizly Paints Emerging Picture of How Gen Z Shops for Alcohol
October 1st, 2019; Wine Industry Network
‘New research from alcohol ecommerce leader reveals both surprising similarities and marked differences between generations of imbibers.’
- Market Watch Toasts the Top Spirits & Wine Retailers
September 27th, 2019; Shanken News
Molly’s Spirits of Lakeside, CO was among those honored at the dinner.
- Pennsylvania’s Flexible Pricing Power Under Fire
September 24th, 2019; Shanken News
‘A power struggle over a controversial beverage alcohol pricing policy escalates..’
- 4 Beverage Alcohol Retailers Who Are Top in America
August 21st, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
“These four retailers have set the industry standard for excellence.”
- Building a Business in a Highly Regulated Industry
August 12th, 2019; Retail Touch Points
“Using a white-label eCommerce solution.. can not only help with regulatory compliance but also provide valuable data..” Devarej Southworth, Thirstie
- Upscale Mixers
August 8th, 2019; Market Watch
BevMo! reset their mixer assortments this year. One of their big initiatives was to offer more premium mixers.
- What does Tennesee v. Blair Mean For the Future of Alcohol Retail?
August 5th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
For insight, BevDynamics spoke with Tucker Herndon, a partner at Burr & Forman in Nashville, TN.
- 2019 State of the Beverage Industry
Beer – “Beer Market explores more ways to drive growth.“
Wine & Spirits – “Wine, Spirits prioritize preiumization.”
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Overturns Ruling Allowing Retailers to Sell Below Invoiced Wholesale Prices
July 25th, 2019; Shanken News Daily
On July 24th, 2019 the Supreme Court issued a decision that overturns the previous ruling of allowing retroactive volume discounts (ie. cannot sell below cost).
- Lawmaker proposes crapping ABC stores, allowing retailers to sell liquor.
- Wichita Liquor store sees little change in sales since new laws enacted: Jacob Liquor and Tom’s Wine & Spirits
- Cape Cod Retailer Opens Sixth Store: Liquor N More; MA
- Drizly Launches New Custom Report for Retailers Detailing Top-Selling Items They’re Not Carrying
July 10th, 2019; Wine Industry Advisor
“Latest intelligence from alcohol e-commerce leader helps retailers make more informed buying decisions based on local and national sales data.”
- 11 Alcohol Trends to Watch in 2019-20
July 10th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
Results from Beverage Dynamics 2019 State of the Industry Survey.
- What’s new in booze? Alcohol launches for July.
- Retailer Makes Big Splash With Summer Cocktails
July 3rd, 2019; Market Watch
“Exit 9 Wine & Liquor Warehouse in Clifton Park, NY is putting a twist on warm weather classics.”
- Pennsylvania Lawmakers to Consider Expanding Retail Sales Outlets for Wine & Spirits
June 28th, 2019; Market Watch
“A Keystone State senator has proposed an off-premise franchise store system to boost beverage alcohol sales.”
- Liquor Stores Feeling Financial Impact 6-months After Grocery Stores allowed to sell wine on Sundays (TN)
June 26th, 2019; News4
“[Bard] Quillman [of Red Dog Wine & Spirits] has changed up what he offers at his store to compete. He’s selling alcohol you won’t see at the big box stores.”
- Texas Raises Retail Liquor License Limit
June 17th, 2019; Shanken News Daily
Takes effect September 1st, 2019.
- Ruling Expands Wine Shipping Option for Florida Consumers
June 11th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
NAWR alerted their members yesterday that they can now legally ship wine directly to consumers in the state of Florida using common carriers such as FedEx and UPS.
- 6 Strategies for Maximizing Seasonal Tourism Sales
June 11th, 2019; SevenFifty Daily
“Staffing up and studying past sales data are just two ways operators in vacation destinations prepare for busy months.”
- North Carolina Beverage Alcohol Retailers Face Privatization, Sunday Sales, Spirits Tastings
June 7th, 2019; Market Watch
“..If North Carolina allowed private liquor retail outlets … liquor sales would increase 20%..”
- How Much Is Your Customer Worth?
May 23rd, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
- “That’s a pretty substantial number, don’t you think?”
- A Report Shows State-by-State U.S. Consumer Interest In Alcohol E-Commerce
May 19th, 2019; Forbes
- “The top five states for the term “buy alcohol” were: Indiana, Maine, New Mexico, Vermont and Utah.”
- A ‘Complex’ Consumer Base Challenges US Alcohol
May 16th, 2019; Beverage Daily
- “The 2020’s are expected to be driven by growth in craft sectors and young [Gen Z] drinkers.”
- US Beverage Alcohol Lags in E-Commerce: “Other Markets are Way Ahead”
May 2nd, 2019; Beverage Daily
- “Online sales only represent 1% of off-premise beverage alcohol sales in the US, but are growing at double digit rates.”
- Crowlers Add Exciting Option for Craft Beer at Retail
April 24th, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- Forging more opportunities for craft beer sales.
- Don’t know what a Crowler is? Click here to read the beginning story of Crowlers.
- Liquor Store Owners deal with the impacts of Colorado allowing Full-Strength Beer in Grocery Stores *Featuring Central Park Liquor, CO
April 7th, 2019; Vail Daily
- “It’s been very impactful.” – Greg Nealy
- 17 Independent Beverage Licensees Recognized as “Brown-Forman Retailers of the Year” *Featuring Liquor Express & Craft Beer Store, AL
April 5th, 2019; ABL Press Release
- “Nominated by their state licensed beverage associations for commitment to their state associations, dedication to the beverage alcohol industry and their success in business.”
- Top Shelf Spirits Lead Category Growth
March 21st, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- Offerings of high-end spirits can lead to higher rings at retail.
- One year later, Sunday alcohol sales [IN] become part of a routine
March 4th, 2019; Wane.com
- After a year since Sunday sales became legal, Indiana liquor store owners have adjusted.
- Colorado Springs Liquor Stores Reflect on How New Beer Sales Law has Impacted Business
March 1st, 2019; The Gazette
- Spoiler Alert: “We’ve been doing great.” – Justin Roach, Veterans Wine & Liquor
- Sunday Sales Proposed for Texas Wine & Spirits Retail
February 20th, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- “Texas retailers brace for a looming paradigm shift.”
- Cutting Edge in Colorado *Featuring Molly’s Spirits, CO
February 11th, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- “Rufus Nagel has leveraged his Silicon Valley background to create Molly’s Spirits, a high-volume store with a modern twist.”
- Premiumization Trends Impact Wine Market
February 5th, 2019; Bev Industry
- Wine category experiences steady growth.
- US Direct-to-Consumer Shipments Rise 12%
January 31st, 2019; The Drinks Business
- According to reports, wines sold direct to US consumers grew 12% during 2018, despite increasing competition from other channels.
- State of the Industry: What’s to come for Alcohol in 2019
January 3rd, 2019; Beverage Daily
- The alcohol industry looks ahead to 2019 and what to expect for US drink trends, flavors, and regulations.
- Great Sparkling Wines and Where to Get Them in Texas *Featuring Austin Wine Merchant, TX
December 26th, 2018; Texas Monthly
- Current affordable favorites – and one big splurge.
- Retailers Grow Business Footprint Fulfilling Events
December 13, 2018; Market Watch Mag
- “Helping customers plan events adds residual returns.”
Articles Featuring mPower Users
- Passion In The Panhandle – Featuring Wine World (FL)
- Jewel of Manhattan – Featuring Morrell & Co.
- Mile High Modern – Featuring Molly’s Spirits
- How Molly’s Leverages Data and Technology for Growth
- Mission Wine & Spirits in Los Angeles partners with Amazon for fast one-hour delivery service.
- How the Austin Wine Merchant Became an Iconic Retailer.
- The Best of Both Worlds: Wine World has created a successful hybrid retail and on-premise company.
- Colorado’s Hazel’s Beverage World Tops $30 Million In Sales.
- Friends and Partners: Wine World of Florida’s Chan Cox & Robert Montgomery build off- and on- premise concepts that are long on customer service.
- Cutting Edge in Colorado: Molly’s Spirits.
Beverage Dynamics Retailers of the Year
Every year Beverage Dynamics allows individuals to nominate retailers for the “Top 100 Retailers.” Below is the link to 2019’s Retailers of the Year.
2020 Top 100 Retailers were announced in Beverage Dynamics July/August 2020 Issue. You can read the issue by clicking here.
*2020 Featuring: Acme Liquors, Crested Butte, CO; Boone’s Wine & Spirits, Eagle, CO ; Broadway Spirits, New York, NY; Cellar Door Wine & Spirits, Murray, KY; Mayfair Liquors, Denver, CO; Sodie’s Wine & Spirits, Fort Smith, AR; Vern’s Retail Liquor, Topeka, KS; Wilbur’s Total Beverage, Colorado Springs, CO
*2019 Featuring: Acme Liquors, Crested Butte, CO; Boone’s Wine & Spirits, Eagle, CO; Broadway Spirits, New York, NY; Cellar Door Wine & Spirits, Murray, KY; Mayfair Liquors, Denver, CO; Sodie’s Wine & Spirits, Fort Smith, AR