Beer, Wine, and Liquor Retail Industry News
Below are articles related to the beer, wine, and liquor retail industry; many featuring mPower liquor POS users.
- How Liquor Stores Can Maximize Sales of Complementary Products
May 26th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
They offer consistent sales through impulse buying and adds sales item variety.
- Wine E-Commerce Sales Move Mainstream During Pandemic
May 14th, 2020; Market Watch
Internet wine sales might be the biggest winner in the Covid-19 beverage alcohol retail whirlwind.
- An Industry Mobilizes
May 8th, 2020; Market Watch
As the Covid-19 crisis swept the country, the drinks industry responded, keeping the distribution chain moving and helping those in need.
- Video: How to Retail Alcohol in Our Changing World
May 7th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Buying patterns have changed.
- Retailers Go The Distance To Keep Industry Rolling During Crisis
April 21st, 2020; Market Watch
The retailer tier remains steadfast with strong steps to battle the pandemic and meet tall orders.
- Charitable Efforts Amid Covid-19
April 17th, 2020; Market Watch
As the pandemic swept the U.S. in March, the beverage alcohol industry responded in kind.
- Beverage Alcohol Retail Teir Adjusts to Covid-19 Crisis
April 8th, 2020; Market Watch
Wine, spirits, and beer retailers have turned to pioneering ideas to keep the supply chain moving amidst coronavirus closures.
- What Alcohol Consumers are Buying During the Covid-19 Crisis
April 6th, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Liquor stores have evolved.
- How Liquor Stores Adapted to the Covid-19 Crisis
April 1st, 2020; Beverage Dynamics
Alcohol remains essential.
- Retailers See Sales Skyrocket As Country Responds to Covid-19
March 30th, 2020; Market Watch
As the on-premise shuts down, consumers are turning to beverage alcohol retailers.
- Shift to Off-Premise Continues, as Retailers Emphasize Pickup and Delivery
March 23rd, 2020; Shanken News Daily
As states increase stay-at-home orders, beverage alcohol retailers remain open in in most states.
- Retailers Across the Nation are still Rushing to Keep Pace with Demand
March 20th, 2020; Shanken News Daily
Retailers are scrambling to keep shelves stocked while taking steps to keep customers and staff safe.
- Jumping Borders
February 13th, 2020; Market Watch
Indiana retailer Cap n’ Cork looks to expand into new states through online sales.
- One year later: Liquor stores feel impact of law change (CO)
January 3rd, 2020; KKTV11 News
Local liquor store owners said they have seen an impact to their beer sales.
- Preparing for Post-Holiday Retail Sales
December 30th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
- Wine and Spirits Retailers Spread Holiday Cheer with Specialty Tastings, Events, and Sales
December 16th, 2019; Market Watch
- Colorado Retailer Molly’s Spirits in Expansion Mode
December 13th, 2019; Shanken News (A reiteration of Novembers Market Watch article)
- Holiday Shopping Made Easy with Wine and Spirits Gift Sets
December 13th, 2019; Market Watch
- Retailers Utilize Pairings to Connect with Customers and Boost Sales
December 11th, 2019; Market Watch
- The 2019 Beverage Alcohol Retail Tech Guide
November 7th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
- Optimizing Alcohol for eCommerce: ‘How easy do you make it for people?’
November 5th, 2019; Beverage Daily
Experts say a clean digital presence with simple navigation is key.
- Mile High Modern
November 1st, 2019; Market Watch
‘Rufus Nagel merges technology with experiential shopping at Molly’s Spirits in the Denver metro area.’
- How Molly’s Leverages Data and Technology for Growth
October 9th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
“Now a major local destination… Molly’s is preparing to open a second location this fall, and expand its reach to a broader customer base.”
- Twin City Titan
October 8th, 2019; Market Watch
“With his family on board, Jack Farrell continues to make Haskell’s a dominant force in the Minnesota retail scene.”
- Virginia ABC Revenue Eclipses $1 Billion in Fiscal 2019
October 3rd, 2019; Market Watch
Virginia saw huge growth in spirit sales.
- Consumer Study by Drizly Paints Emerging Picture of How Gen Z Shops for Alcohol
October 1st, 2019; Wine Industry Network
‘New research from alcohol ecommerce leader reveals both surprising similarities and marked differences between generations of imbibers.’
- Market Watch Toasts the Top Spirits & Wine Retailers
September 27th, 2019; Shanken News
Molly’s Spirits of Lakeside, CO was among those honored at the dinner.
- Pennsylvania’s Flexible Pricing Power Under Fire
September 24th, 2019; Shanken News
‘A power struggle over a controversial beverage alcohol pricing policy escalates..’
- 4 Beverage Alcohol Retailers Who Are Top in America
August 21st, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
“These four retailers have set the industry standard for excellence.”
- Building a Business in a Highly Regulated Industry
August 12th, 2019; Retail Touch Points
“Using a white-label eCommerce solution.. can not only help with regulatory compliance but also provide valuable data..” Devarej Southworth, Thirstie
- Upscale Mixers
August 8th, 2019; Market Watch
BevMo! reset their mixer assortments this year. One of their big initiatives was to offer more premium mixers.
- What does Tennesee v. Blair Mean For the Future of Alcohol Retail?
August 5th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
For insight, BevDynamics spoke with Tucker Herndon, a partner at Burr & Forman in Nashville, TN.
- 2019 State of the Beverage Industry
Beer – “Beer Market explores more ways to drive growth.“
Wine & Spirits – “Wine, Spirits prioritize preiumization.”
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Overturns Ruling Allowing Retailers to Sell Below Invoiced Wholesale Prices
July 25th, 2019; Shanken News Daily
On July 24th, 2019 the Supreme Court issued a decision that overturns the previous ruling of allowing retroactive volume discounts (ie. cannot sell below cost).
- Lawmaker proposes crapping ABC stores, allowing retailers to sell liquor.
- Wichita Liquor store sees little change in sales since new laws enacted: Jacob Liquor and Tom’s Wine & Spirits
- Cape Cod Retailer Opens Sixth Store: Liquor N More; MA
- Drizly Launches New Custom Report for Retailers Detailing Top-Selling Items They’re Not Carrying
July 10th, 2019; Wine Industry Advisor
“Latest intelligence from alcohol e-commerce leader helps retailers make more informed buying decisions based on local and national sales data.”
- 11 Alcohol Trends to Watch in 2019-20
July 10th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
Results from Beverage Dynamics 2019 State of the Industry Survey.
- What’s new in booze? Alcohol launches for July.
- Retailer Makes Big Splash With Summer Cocktails
July 3rd, 2019; Market Watch
“Exit 9 Wine & Liquor Warehouse in Clifton Park, NY is putting a twist on warm weather classics.”
- Pennsylvania Lawmakers to Consider Expanding Retail Sales Outlets for Wine & Spirits
June 28th, 2019; Market Watch
“A Keystone State senator has proposed an off-premise franchise store system to boost beverage alcohol sales.”
- Liquor Stores Feeling Financial Impact 6-months After Grocery Stores allowed to sell wine on Sundays (TN)
June 26th, 2019; News4
“[Bard] Quillman [of Red Dog Wine & Spirits] has changed up what he offers at his store to compete. He’s selling alcohol you won’t see at the big box stores.”
- Texas Raises Retail Liquor License Limit
June 17th, 2019; Shanken News Daily
Takes effect September 1st, 2019.
- Ruling Expands Wine Shipping Option for Florida Consumers
June 11th, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
NAWR alerted their members yesterday that they can now legally ship wine directly to consumers in the state of Florida using common carriers such as FedEx and UPS.
- 6 Strategies for Maximizing Seasonal Tourism Sales
June 11th, 2019; SevenFifty Daily
“Staffing up and studying past sales data are just two ways operators in vacation destinations prepare for busy months.”
- North Carolina Beverage Alcohol Retailers Face Privatization, Sunday Sales, Spirits Tastings
June 7th, 2019; Market Watch
“..If North Carolina allowed private liquor retail outlets … liquor sales would increase 20%..”
- How Much Is Your Customer Worth?
May 23rd, 2019; Beverage Dynamics
- “That’s a pretty substantial number, don’t you think?”
- A Report Shows State-by-State U.S. Consumer Interest In Alcohol E-Commerce
May 19th, 2019; Forbes
- “The top five states for the term “buy alcohol” were: Indiana, Maine, New Mexico, Vermont and Utah.”
- A ‘Complex’ Consumer Base Challenges US Alcohol
May 16th, 2019; Beverage Daily
- “The 2020’s are expected to be driven by growth in craft sectors and young [Gen Z] drinkers.”
- US Beverage Alcohol Lags in E-Commerce: “Other Markets are Way Ahead”
May 2nd, 2019; Beverage Daily
- “Online sales only represent 1% of off-premise beverage alcohol sales in the US, but are growing at double digit rates.”
- Crowlers Add Exciting Option for Craft Beer at Retail
April 24th, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- Forging more opportunities for craft beer sales.
- Don’t know what a Crowler is? Click here to read the beginning story of Crowlers.
- Liquor Store Owners deal with the impacts of Colorado allowing Full-Strength Beer in Grocery Stores *Featuring Central Park Liquor, CO
April 7th, 2019; Vail Daily
- “It’s been very impactful.” – Greg Nealy
- 17 Independent Beverage Licensees Recognized as “Brown-Forman Retailers of the Year” *Featuring Liquor Express & Craft Beer Store, AL
April 5th, 2019; ABL Press Release
- “Nominated by their state licensed beverage associations for commitment to their state associations, dedication to the beverage alcohol industry and their success in business.”
- Top Shelf Spirits Lead Category Growth
March 21st, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- Offerings of high-end spirits can lead to higher rings at retail.
- One year later, Sunday alcohol sales [IN] become part of a routine
March 4th, 2019; Wane.com
- After a year since Sunday sales became legal, Indiana liquor store owners have adjusted.
- Colorado Springs Liquor Stores Reflect on How New Beer Sales Law has Impacted Business
March 1st, 2019; The Gazette
- Spoiler Alert: “We’ve been doing great.” – Justin Roach, Veterans Wine & Liquor
- Sunday Sales Proposed for Texas Wine & Spirits Retail
February 20th, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- “Texas retailers brace for a looming paradigm shift.”
- Cutting Edge in Colorado *Featuring Molly’s Spirits, CO
February 11th, 2019; Market Watch Mag
- “Rufus Nagel has leveraged his Silicon Valley background to create Molly’s Spirits, a high-volume store with a modern twist.”
- Premiumization Trends Impact Wine Market
February 5th, 2019; Bev Industry
- Wine category experiences steady growth.
- US Direct-to-Consumer Shipments Rise 12%
January 31st, 2019; The Drinks Business
- According to reports, wines sold direct to US consumers grew 12% during 2018, despite increasing competition from other channels.
- State of the Industry: What’s to come for Alcohol in 2019
January 3rd, 2019; Beverage Daily
- The alcohol industry looks ahead to 2019 and what to expect for US drink trends, flavors, and regulations.
- Great Sparkling Wines and Where to Get Them in Texas *Featuring Austin Wine Merchant, TX
December 26th, 2018; Texas Monthly
- Current affordable favorites – and one big splurge.
- Retailers Grow Business Footprint Fulfilling Events
December 13, 2018; Market Watch Mag
- “Helping customers plan events adds residual returns.”
Articles Featuring mPower Users
- Mile High Modern – Featuring Molly’s Spirits
- How Molly’s Leverages Data and Technology for Growth
- Mission Wine & Spirits in Los Angeles partners with Amazon for fast one-house delivery service.
- How the Austin Wine Merchant Became an Iconic Retailer.
- The Best of Both Worlds: Wine World has created a successful hybrid retail and on-premise company.
- Colorado’s Hazel’s Beverage World Tops $30 Million In Sales.
- Friends and Partners: Wine World of Florida’s Chan Cox & Robert Montgomery build off- and on- premise concepts that are long on customer service.
- Cutting Edge in Colorado: Molly’s Spirits.
Beverage Dynamics Retailers of the Year
Every year Beverage Dynamics allows individuals to nominate retailers for the “Top 100 Retailers.” Below is the link to 2019’s Retailers of the Year.
*2019 Featuring: Acme Liquors, Crested Butte, CO; Boone’s Wine & Spirits, Eagle, CO; Broadway Spirits, New York, NY; Cellar Door Wine & Spirits, Murray, KY; Mayfair Liquors, Denver, CO; Sodie’s Wine & Spirits, Fort Smith, AR